Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Is There Somewhere By Halsey (Forbidden Love Through Indie Music Song 1)


Is There Somewhere by Halsey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=686SmDtBOu8
You were dancing in your tube socks in our hotel room,
Flashing those eyes like highway signs.
Light one up and hand it over, rest your head upon my shoulder.
I just wanna feel your lips against my skin.

White sheets, bright lights, crooked teeth, and the night life.
You told me this is right where it begins.
But your lips hang heavy underneath me.
And I promised myself I wouldn't let you complete me.

I'm trying not to let it show, that I don't want to let this go.
Is there somewhere you can meet me?
'Cause I clutched your arms like stairway railings.
And you clutched my brain and eased my ailing.

You're writing lines about me; romantic poetry.
Your girl's got red in her cheeks, 'cause we're something she can't see.
And I try to refrain but you're stuck in my brain.
And all I do is cry and complain because second's not the same.

I'm sorry but I fell in love tonight.
I didn't mean to fall in love tonight.
You're looking like you fell in love tonight.
Could we pretend that we're in love?

I'm sorry but I fell in love tonight.
I didn't mean to fall in love tonight.
You're looking like you fell in love tonight.
Could we pretend that we're in love?

   Is There Somewhere tells a story of a couple made for casual hook-ups, but trouble is made when one of the lovers’ feelings progress. Repetition, imagery and similes paint this late night hazy picture of a hotel room teeming at the brim with tension. Halsey has said the song is about loving someone in a relationship and knowing she’s the second choice, but pretending that they’re truly in love with her, even if that isn’t the case. The song lacks a typical structure of verses, choruses and a bridge. It seems more like a flow of consciousness blurred by love. In the first stanza, the simile “flashing those eyes like highway signs” is used to compare this person’s eyes to road signs. I believe she’s comparing the brightness and glowing quality of this person’s eyes to the way highway signs reflect at night. This goes along with the idea that when someone is in love, the subject of their affection seems infinitely more appealing. She was hypnotized by this person, saying “I clutched your arms like stairway railings” She held onto him so fiercely, I imagine in the way I cling onto the railing as I make my final way up the stairs to go to bed after a long day. Also, imagery sets the scene for this inappropriate encounter. The images of “white sheets, bright lights, crooked teeth and the nightlife” perfectly creates the image of this secretive late night meeting. Finally, repetition is used in the last two stanzas of this song to show the speaker’s feelings towards this other person. The lines repeat phrases about both the speaker and other person falling in love. It shows that the speaker is particularly hung up on this person and can’t knock her feelings for them. This song practically writes a short film itself, depicting a late night meeting between forbidden lovers in a clean white hotel room while neon signs from outside bleed onto the walls, floors and bodies occupying the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment